So you have some groundbreaking ideas and you’re ready to join an enthusiastic and congenial group of folks who think like you do. Perfect! Read on–
What are the benefits of membership?
Members are each granted a key, which allows them to gain access to the space, as well as access to the tools and equipment in the space (dangerous tools will require the member to pass a safety test first!). Members are also permitted to bring a guest to the space. The space can be booked by members for approved workshops, demos, or classes. Membership grants the right to vote at meetings (to approve by-laws, etc.), and the right to run for available positions on the Board of Directors. Members are also automatically subscribed to a very low-volume announcement-only mailing list, where event schedules, meeting dates, and changes to any policies or guidelines will be made known.
What does it cost?
The Kwartzlab Society is a member-driven, not-for-profit organisation. A one-time, non-refundable startup fee of $100.00 is required once membership has been approved; members then pay a monthly fee of $50.00 plus HST ($56.50 total). All this gets injected into the hackerspace in order to pay for tools and equipment, and general operations costs such as rent and utilities.
What do members have to do?
The rules really aren’t too stringent. Once you’re a paying member, you’re required to keep your contact information up to date. You must follow the hackerspace safety guidelines, as well as any and all by-laws that are adopted. And you must be able to play nicely with the other members. The space is for all members’ use and enjoyment; we’re in this together to learn, to build, and to have fun–not to compete with one another for resources.
How do I join?
- Come out to some of our open events, such as our Tuesday Open Nights. Introduce yourself to Kwartzlab members; tell them you are interested in applying for membership.
- Once you’ve gotten to know us (and we’ve gotten to know you!), download the membership application form and fill it out. Give the hard copy to a Kwartzlab member during Tuesday Open Night; or e-mail a soft copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not include any fees at this time.
- You’ll be contacted by the Secretary via e-mail, advising you of the date the Board will be voting on your application, and inviting you to attend that Board Meeting.
- After the Meeting you will be contacted by the Board via e-mail, advising you of the outcome of the vote.
- If you were inducted, you will be advised of the pro-rated membership fee you will need to pay for the current month, and how to pay. Once you have paid, you may claim your access key.
- If your membership application was not accepted and the problem is just that the Board doesn’t know who you are, you may be invited to attend a few more open events, and to apply again later.
I have a question that’s not addressed here…
Drop us a line via the Contact form!