Board Meeting 105
Revision as of 21:05, 25 June 2013 by Doug.moen
|Board Meeting 105|
|Address||33 Kent Ave. Kitchener, ON|
|Meeting Type||Board Meeting|
Call to Order
Approval of the Agenda
- All in favour:
Report from the President
- We are awesome! Thank you and good night.
Report from the Treasurer
Membership Changes Logging
- New Members:
- Members Leaving:
Membership Dues Owed Follow Up
- Ben to follow up with this
- Welcome Jaymis and Jonathan!
- New board meeting time?
- Signing authority for Jaymis.
New member application process
- Follow up from ML conversation
- How to make it clearer, friendlier, less intimidating for applicants?
- The process documented on our web site involves a physical meeting that the applicant is encouraged to attend. DIYode uses an interview process. We silently abandoned the concept of interviews, because email is more convenient.
- How to make it more convenient for members and the board? Kudos to Doug, re:photos
- Updating the application form.
- Integrating applicants into community
Parking at Kwartzlab
- Mark has talked to MTD
- Should also talk to MCC.
Hacky Halloween 2013
- At THEMUSEUM? Or at Kwartzlab?
- Funding, sponsorship
G33k Art Show
- Can we get in for free?
- In-kind swap with Maker Faire?
- Approve Mark's suggested Canadian Tire purchase?
Which Mailing List?
- There seems to be some confusion about which mailing list to use for what.
- Any discussion the members should care about goes on members. This is the default for most things.
- Votes, boring administrivia goes on admin. Because we don't want members unsubscribing from members due to this stuff.
- General meeting announcements and matters of grave corporate import go on announce. Announce must be kept up to date with all member emails.
- "Check out this cool link" goes on discuss. Public event notifications should be sent to discuss as well.
Kwartzlab Booth for Maker Faire
Internet Speed Issues
- We know it's not stable. Ben has emailed Cedric about the connection. Mark has as well a few weeks ago.
- Ben to provide a report on this, possibly new cable solutions
- Action Item: Ben worked on automated script working, should be in place for next week
- Action Item: Rob to update clean up instructions to include garbage info
Youth (16 or younger) Membership
- James - concern about liability on our behalf
- Mark - parents should sign a waiver for their children
- Darcy - we need to discuss with a lawyer
- Would be good to have waivers signed regardless
- What's the liability implication of minors in the space - for advice from lawyer
- minors can't sign contracts. Parents can.
- Action Item: Gus to talk with lawyer and we'll follow up next meeting - Darcy need to follow up
- discussion items:
- 24 keyed access for kids? Can they bring their friends as guests (without adult supervision)?
- legal liability, if a 16 yr old cuts off their finger, vs an 18 yr old? If a kid's guest cuts off their finger?
- can a 16 yr old sign the audit waver form?
- No new info on this topic. Still waiting for lawyer's info from Gus.
Buildout / Prep
- Budget for exterior painting
- Action Item: Ben - sign creations - done, needs to be put up, issues with lighting being worked on
- Action Item: Drywall panelling / mudding - on hold for 2nd floor
- Action Item: 2nd floor - Rob - kitchenette floor
- Action Item: Power panel needs remapping and reorganization and plumbing drain tube needs to be moved
- Action Item: James - needs to install the door strike. Back door first
- Action Item: Welding area - Need to remove slot wall (safety), steel shelving to replace slot/peg board. Fireplace backing sheets recommended.Can hang the welding curtains in the meantime.
- Action Item: Rob or Ben - garbage run needs to happen again (ceiling tiles, etc)
- Action Item: Karl - carpeting to stairwell and bathroom
- Action Item: Plumbing vent - Taylor investigating with Bob
- Action Item: Paint outside of building - will need budgetary review
- Action Item: Get and run sawdust duct work, interim piping can be made up until fully planned piping done
- Mark - Ontario Arts council - found other funds to investigate as well - period doesn't start until 2014
- Action Item: James - we've had the tool meeting, now to prioritize and purchase the tools. Some tools are being purchased already, others being investigated. James to follow up on purchases.
- Action Item: Darcy to do press release and blog posting - Press advisory instead of a release - paused for now
- Action Item: Need to pick a day for the party (TBD related to move) - Not done yet, need to give dignitaries 3-4 weeks lead time - paused for now
- Action Item: Ben to follow up on the chairs order
Health and Safety
- Discussion came up after the vote about getting more information around this
- Discussions over changing policies for Tuesday open nights for non-members and usage of tools and restricting usage of them
- Tagging of tools for various levels of complexity
- Some posters have been posted
- Action Item: Fire extinguishers need to be recharged, mounted and signed in new space. They currently are around the space, just need to formalize locations
Action item review
Forwarded by: Second: In favour:
- A minimum of 4 Directors are needed to make quorum