Announcing our new Artist in Residence, Heather Morton. Heather was our monthly featured artist in April, and we welcome her back to the lab for the next 3 months!
Heather has been interested in arts and crafts since childhood, which has turned into a passion for fabric and fibre arts. Her fibre-related endeavors have included costume making, creative crochet, functional sewing and art quilting. Lately she is interested in experimenting with new methods of surface design. As an Artist in Residence at kwartzlab, she is hoping to explore using the laser cutter for more quilting and fabric-related experiments. Heather will also add to the diversity of kwartzlab’s programming by running some workshops in arts and crafts related areas.
Some topics Heather is keen on teaching include:
- finding and altering your own sewing patterns
- screen printing
- making linoleum stamps (for fabric or paper printing)
- art-quilting & surface design techniques
- mending clothing workshop
- Q&A/talk/advice on making your own costume