Hey, I painted the Heavy Equipment Lab door today.
Here is how the door originally looked. Not very inviting, and very beat up, with many layers of tape and cruft from years past. I couldn’t help myself.
Some tools I used. I got a pair of vinyl decals from XL Screenprinting, some John Deere Yellow spraypaint, matte black, tape, and a set of protective masks, all from KW Surplus.
The door is off its hinges and in the painting booth! I used a razor scraper to remove the tape and residue, filed down the burrs from ancient drilled holes, then cleaned it down with a wet cloth.
I painted it yellow first, concentrating around the edges and top half, where the hazard stripes and logo will go. I actually had to go get another can of paint, as one is not enough for a door.
I marked 45-degree angles by measuring a square on the door, then running tape from one corner to the other. I placed rows of tape carefully, one after the other, until the door was completely taped. Alternating rows I only used a couple of short pieces, just to keep subsequent rows lined up. I then removed the small pieces. I marked the inner rectangular area, then cut and removed those inner pieces.
I added a decal to the top-centre, smoothed down all the tape and decal with a putty knife, and then painted it all black. I can’t wait to peel back the results!
Peeling off the tape! Now it’s looking like a door! It’s mostly coming off easily.
The door, finished and re-hung! There are bits where the paint peeled off with the tape. They’ll be touched up with model paint.