Curious about the world of needle craft? Come participate in a one-night-only embroidery workshop! As kwartzlab’s current artist-in-residence, I will teach you the basics of hand embroidery. No prior experience required!
ADDED WORKSHOP BONUS: make your own reusable heat transfer patterns using a Silhouette SD machine (its like a Cricut, but way better!). Choose from an existing library of designs, create your own with the Studio software, or bring an existing .dxf file (all objects need to be ungrouped before saving as .dxf)!
When I ordered my Silhouette SD last June, I also added some fun attachments I knew would come in handy. The pen holder and sketch pens were part of that order. The pen holder works great, but is limited to ballpoint Bic sized pens and skinny markers. After seeing what was available on the market for holding larger markers, I thought it shouldn’t be too difficult to hack my own version. The flow on my Silhouette SD sketch pens don’t work consistently, so I didn’t have any hesitations in sacrificing one or two. It didn’t take much to transform this sketch pen into a marker holder- a band saw, a drill press, an exacto knife (to clear away plastic shavings) 5 minute epoxy and a small nut and bolt set (to tighten the hold on the maker). 10 minutes later and voila! This guy will hold markers as thick as a regular sized Sharpie.
What you will learn at the workshop:
- how to choose and prep your fabric for stitching
- how to use a heat transfer
- how to prep and condition your floss
- basic stitches (split stitch, back stitch, stem stich, satin stich…more stiches will be taught on request!)
- how to tie off and finish your threads
What you will come away with:
- your own 4″ high quality plastic embroidery hoop
- stitching samplers
- reusable heat transfer patterns- designed by you!!
- needle and floss
- extra material to keep practising with
- confidence in your stitching skills!
- inspiration for future projects!
Workshop materials fee: $10, payable at the door.
Workshop is limited to 10 people! Visit http://learntoembroider.eventbrite.com/ to sign up for a spot!
If you need to cancel your reservation please do so ASAP so that others can join in.