I managed to complete a table I’ve been working on for a number of months, and has been in and out of the Heavy Lab.
I found an Ikea Molger frame in the As-Is section (my favourite haunt!), and thought it would make a good base for a table. So, I procured two planks of wood (walnut I think?) from the annual Woodworking Show at Bingeman’s. I think glued them together, added dowelled wooden gussets underneath to ensure a strong bond, then planed down the top until it was smooth. Planing was the most repetitive step, and it was fortunate that the ‘Lab had enough space to hold the tabletop until it was completely levelled. I connected the tabletop to the frame with dowels running through the four posts, then varnished the top.
After all was said and done, it was still rather wobbly. To strengthen it up, I got eight shiny turnbuckles, and attached them domed screws and nuts to both sides of every post. The great thing with turnbuckles is that you can control the tension that they have on the legs by just turning them, so I tightened them until I had a much more rigid frame.
I’m not sure quite what to do with the table yet, but it’s doing a great job holding mail in our front room right now…