I traded in the old button switch activator for Animeyes, and in its place is a simple script running on the Arduino + some trivial glue logic consisting of a 2N7000 n-channel FET and a resistor. This allows for much more repeatable pulses to the strawlenoid coil. I discovered that 100ms pulse to the FET gives a very sluggish return of the lid. 30ms wasn’t enough of a pulse to make much happen. 50ms was the sweet spot.
Simple-as-can-be circuit (labelled B). I tried the one above that James came up (labelled A) with the cap on the FET gate that prevents the FET from staying on permanently and smoking the coil, but got tired of monkeying around with cap values. The FET works fine on it’s own.
I pinned an eye into the laser-cut panel to see how it fit and folded up another paper eyelid. Had to do some creative surgery with a tuck at the back of the lid to prevent it from jamming in the socket. Looks better with this tighter fit, but these lids are really tedious to tape together. Have to think more about a more scalable solution.
I noticed from this session of thinking-with-hands that the strawlenoid works best if the top is tilted out from the board a bit. That makes sense given the geometry of the pivot. It also occured to me that I should get standoff mounting plates laser cut out of foamcore to mount the strawlenoids.
Ran some endurance tests of a few hundred blinks and discovered that the lid mounting pins get loose over time. Will need to probably add a little white glue to hold them in more permanently. Also found that the thread fastening the strawlenoid plunger to the lid was untying the square knot I used. A little crazy glue solved that.
I worked for a while building a jig to notch the eyeballs, but didn’t come up with anything really satisfactory yet. Probably should stop thinking of
building a hot-wire cutter and just figure out an easy jig for the hacksaw blade. Suggestions welcome.
Lots of practising tonight for Ignite.